Singapore's Radio Control Trade Marketplace

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

[Build Log] Giant Scale F8F Bearcat 50cc (CY Models)

11 Sep 2017, 10:08

Hi guys/admin,

I am starting a build log of my CY Models giant F8F Bearcat 84" here and I hope it is okay. Well here it goes:

CY Model F8F Bearcat (Factory recommendation)
Wingspan: 2135mm (84 in)
Wing Area: 72dm2 (1120sq.in)
Take-off Weight: 10.4kg
Length: 1680mm (66.1in)
Engine: 35-50cc gas
Radio: 6 channels, 10 servos

My target Settings
Engine: Saito FG-60r3
Main Landing Gear: Electron ER40
Tail Retract: Hobby King Tail Retracts for 50cc
Servos: Futaba BLS171SV x 8, some Turnigy Metal Gear HVs
Lights: Hobby King High Power Landing Lights, STROBON XL Strobe Lights
Radio & Equipments: Jeti Duplex R18 with Satellite (4 antennae), PowerBox Competition, Main Retracts Controller
Power: 3x Greatcells Li-ion (7.4v)
Edge 540T Saito FG57T • Bearcat Saito FG60r3 • Bearcat Saito FG33r3 • Super Sportster VVRC40 • Avanti Mini Kingtech k45G Turbine • Preceptor Kingtech K45G Turbine • L39 Jetcat P60 Turbine • Mitsubishi Zero Saito FG21 • Reno Spitfire Saito FG40 • Tucano Kingtech K45TP Turboprop • Skywalker FPV • Mini Talon FPV • Rifle Pylon • Funjet Pylon • Nike 2 Pylon

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

Re: [Build Log] Giant Scale F8F Bearcat 50cc

11 Sep 2017, 10:36

What it seems like those bare fiberglass interior with bare naked wood have to go! No aircaft on the planet should have wood, fiberglass look inside the cockpit or wheresoever exposed! Unless you are flying a private jet, then those walnut woods behind the shimmering highly glossed lacquer trimmings work for the business-class executives. Otherwise let us go military:
Attachments
IMG_1317.jpg
I will paint it with *refrigerator green*.
IMG_1316.jpg
There goes the bulkhead too!
IMG_1315.jpg
I like the "short" fuselage which makes this aircraft look very unique!
Edge 540T Saito FG57T • Bearcat Saito FG60r3 • Bearcat Saito FG33r3 • Super Sportster VVRC40 • Avanti Mini Kingtech k45G Turbine • Preceptor Kingtech K45G Turbine • L39 Jetcat P60 Turbine • Mitsubishi Zero Saito FG21 • Reno Spitfire Saito FG40 • Tucano Kingtech K45TP Turboprop • Skywalker FPV • Mini Talon FPV • Rifle Pylon • Funjet Pylon • Nike 2 Pylon

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

11 Sep 2017, 10:57

I always start the build with the engine first. I do not know about you but having the engine installed on the fuselage gives me the energy and motivation to carry on the build just by seeing it. It also easier to handle the fuselage with some weight on the nose -- with less tendency of it "rolling out" to the ground because if you already know, the Bearcat has relatively round body.
Attachments
IMG_1318.jpg
First an extension must be built because the engine is 20mm shorter than the cowl's intake tip.
IMG_1321.jpg
Seeing this engine could make me drool all day. Remarkable piece of engineering!
IMG_1324.jpg
Epoxy is made to set for the night!
IMG_1330.jpg
There we go.. Additional wood screws for the extension to the firewall IS A MUST! I could literally *hear the sound* of this engine now!

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

11 Sep 2017, 11:14

I would do my best to avoid installation of throttle servo near to the engine because of the vibrations, possible interference from the ignition cables and of course, heat. But the common tail-heaviness in most, if not all, ARF Warbirds made me think otherwise. Therefore we would like to move as much items forward to the nose as possible. Servo wire is very isolated from the ignition module and its cables.
Attachments
IMG_1334.jpg
Fabricating and try-fitting of the servo housing that I have made from balsa and thin plywood.
IMG_1347.jpg
Green paint, as always!
IMG_1348.jpg
CA is used to attach the servo housing to the firewall extension. Some carbon rods are used to further reinforce it.
IMG_1349.jpg
No part of the servo is touching the firewall except for the rubber grommets that it is sitting on to.

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

11 Sep 2017, 11:24

Electronic switch from Jeti is what I always use over the mechanical switches for all my big planes because some of my friends, including myself, had gone into trouble with those mechanical ones.

Bad failures equal good learning experiences. We moved on improving ourselves...
Attachments
IMG_1389.jpg
I ain't a fan of hardcore wiring electricians but this is what I gotta do. 2 batteries for the Powerbox for redundancies and a battery for the 7.4v main gear retracts.

The outputs are to Powerbox, Main Retracts Controller, Landing Lights and Engine Ignition.

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

11 Sep 2017, 12:01

Honestly I do not have many Warbirds in my hangar. The Bearcat is considerably my FIRST GIANT WARBIRD and I want to make it as scale as I can. Therefore I am somewhat "forced" to work on making the tail gear retractable -- and this is my first time making one. If you see any chance of improvement by all means tell me, please.

Attachments
IMG_1328.jpg
Some wood work for the tail retract. 15min Epoxy was used. After the cure, 20min (thin) epoxy was used to fill up any gaps after the first.
IMG_1390.jpg
I had good lucks and faith with 3M foam tapes on servos. They never fail on my gas planes and pylons. So I guess just a steering servo should work fine and safely.
IMG_1391.jpg
Springs are used for the pull-pull for steering whereby the steering servo is sitting behind. The servo housing is mounted with 2 tapping screws so that repair/adjustment works can be made in future by removing those screws.
IMG_1395.jpg
The tail gear installed and extended.

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

11 Sep 2017, 12:37

Now that the tail gear and its retractable have been done up, it is time for the rudder servo and the tail cone to be in place.
Attachments
IMG_1401.jpg
Waiting for the epoxy to cure for the plywood that holds the tail cone.
IMG_1416.jpg
The cone is held solidly by the 4 tapping screws!
IMG_1426.jpg
Rudder servo is double-sided taped inside the vertical stabilizer.
IMG_1428.jpg
I like the vertical tail of the Bearcat. It just fascinates me because it looks tall and proud. Now that the epoxy for the hinges is cured, it is time to make the horn.
IMG_1437.jpg
A high density foam pressing on the servo from the other side to further strengthen the grip. The rudder is bind-free and will generate less load on the servo.

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

11 Sep 2017, 12:50

I love lights. An aircaft is not more completed without those blink blinks. I am not an "over-do" person. I have seen on YouTubes people have their airplanes filled with plenty of lights - all around - which makes me wonder if they are flying a model or a christmas tree! Enough is enough.

To me, a couple of strobes and landing lights is fair enough for both semi-scale and safety (in my field, skie are often grey. Thus colored strobe lights keep orientations).
Attachments
IMG_1430.jpg
A hole is first tapped to make way for the strobe light's cree to enter from inside the fuselage.
IMG_1431.jpg
The blue light is just nice for the color scheme of the Bearcat.
IMG_1433.jpg
The strobe light is so bright it creates a temporary blinding effect when you look at it directly.

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

11 Sep 2017, 13:39

I have had hard times deciding where the elevator servos should sit. For example, if it sits in the middle of the fuselage, then a long push rod must be used. A long push rod has a great tendency to flex during high speed flying or a dive despite having a sleeve over it.

If the servos have to get closer to the control surfaces of the elevator with the shorten push rods, then the Bearcat will suffer a massive weight penalty from the weighty servos on its tail in which would result in more weight added to the nose to keep the CG balanced, hence a heavier airplane.

Finally I thought of a way to "harden" the push rods. That is to permanently (CA glue) affix the push rod directly into a carbon tube which the inner diameter is the about the same as the external diameter of the push rod. Now the long push rod is literally inflexible.
Attachments
IMG_1439.jpg
Carbon fiber control horns were used for the tail feathers.
IMG_1438.jpg
As you can see the carbon tubes acting as permanent sleeves to stiffen the long push rods. Now they are almost inflexible!

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

Re: [Build Log] Giant Scale F8F Bearcat 50cc (CY Models)

11 Sep 2017, 14:25

Electronics now must go up so I could configure the servos and confirm the position of push rods.
Attachments
IMG_1362.jpg
CY Model's plywood in the cabin is *peeling* apart. I am not sure of the quality of the wood but I would make myself a panel for my equipment instead.
IMG_1363.jpg
As the birchwood is relatively soft, some reinforcement actually made it tough.
IMG_1364.jpg
A rough layout of what it is going to be like before I paint the panel green.
IMG_1379.jpg
The layout is somewhat confirmed.