Singapore's Radio Control Trade Marketplace

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

Re: [Build Log] Giant Scale F8F Bearcat 50cc (CY Models)

11 Sep 2017, 15:16

Now for the fuel tank, fuel lines and accessories...
Attachments
IMG_1365.jpg
Good thing about a 4-stroke engine is that it only sips petrol/gas.
Saito claims that it sips 30ml per minute at 6500rpm and we don't always fly full throttle, do we?
Hence a 400ml fuel tank is good for a 10 minutes flight, safely.
I have also used a felt clunk to reduce air bubble that could affect the engine performance.
IMG_1366.jpg
Making a hole for the refuel collar.
IMG_1369.jpg
Refuel collar - ready!
IMG_1371.jpg
Tapping holes the exact size with the fuel lines prevent the fuel line from vibrating and hitting against the firewall. This is good in preventing fuel leak from premature failure of the lines due to cuts.
IMG_1373.jpg
Fuel tank resting on a high-density foam pad secured with velcro straps.
IMG_1491.jpg
It should be about ready for the fuel tank and lines... now readying to do up the main wings...
Edge 540T Saito FG57T • Bearcat Saito FG60r3 • Bearcat Saito FG33r3 • Super Sportster VVRC40 • Avanti Mini Kingtech k45G Turbine • Preceptor Kingtech K45G Turbine • L39 Jetcat P60 Turbine • Mitsubishi Zero Saito FG21 • Reno Spitfire Saito FG40 • Tucano Kingtech K45TP Turboprop • Skywalker FPV • Mini Talon FPV • Rifle Pylon • Funjet Pylon • Nike 2 Pylon

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

12 Sep 2017, 11:11

2 main wings up except for the electric retracts which can be quite a hassle to me. The control surfaces offer good and steep deflections. The original aluminum wing spar weighs 246 grams, and I have changed that to a carbon fiber piece at 134 grams only! It feels so good to reduce 112 grams ( that's the weight of my single 2S 3400mah Li-ion!).
Attachments
IMG_1490.jpg
It sure looks big in the room and conversely it reminds me of how small it can be when its in the big field.
IMG_1489.jpg
Servos for flap and aileron installed.
Servo arms are concealed in the wing.
IMG_1488.jpg
Although I have many other giant airplanes, it just feel so good just looking at this massive cat in the house.
Edge 540T Saito FG57T • Bearcat Saito FG60r3 • Bearcat Saito FG33r3 • Super Sportster VVRC40 • Avanti Mini Kingtech k45G Turbine • Preceptor Kingtech K45G Turbine • L39 Jetcat P60 Turbine • Mitsubishi Zero Saito FG21 • Reno Spitfire Saito FG40 • Tucano Kingtech K45TP Turboprop • Skywalker FPV • Mini Talon FPV • Rifle Pylon • Funjet Pylon • Nike 2 Pylon

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

12 Sep 2017, 14:37

To add a pilot or not add a pilot? If you were to ask me, I would say add one. At least one.

Pilot makes the aircraft look like a real aircraft. No matter how scale you product is, how beautiful the engine note is, how perfect your plane flies, without a pilot in it, it will forever look like radio controlled. Ahem! I know it is radio controlled. But do not you think we should add some pride to our hobby? Be it on display or a low pass, when you can see the pilot in it, it is awesome!

If you do not have a pilot, or the aircraft is too heavy to afford another gram, well at least smoke up your canopy. Black is cool! Translucent/lightly tinted is sexy too! Although I am not a scale modeller, I just cannot stand an airplane without a pilot! Fly a drone, might as well!
Attachments
IMG_1496.jpg
The canopy is taped to mark the mounting holes where taping screws would sit. Interior of the cabin is painted black.
IMG_1497.jpg
Just done with the seat frame with its anti-roll bar. Pilot is waiting to take seat!
IMG_1498.jpg
Making of the upholstery. Making sure our pilots fly relaxed!
IMG_1499.jpg
Cushion seat cover installed.
IMG_1503.jpg
Dremel is the way if we want to cut small straight lines. Don't forget your dust mask. Our lungs do not like it.
IMG_1505.jpg
3M foam tape does most of the holding task for my equipment.
IMG_1512.jpg
Tachometer installed off-center because there'll be a roll-bar over at the center.
IMG_1514.jpg
I found an instrumental panel in my junk tub. It's for the jet but heck, I'll use it on the cat.
IMG_1533.jpg
No wood must be seen!
IMG_1538.jpg
There it goes!
IMG_1549.jpg
Pilot and his seat is glued tilted like the original!
IMG_1545.jpg
It looks like he's flyin'!
IMG_1562.jpg
Finally, the canopy is lightly *smoked* black with an airbrush to generate an old, worn feeling.

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

12 Sep 2017, 15:35

I am going to do several improvements in the engine bay (or cowl) before I install the cowl.

I realized that the ring muffler's exhaust tip is too short to be protruding out of the cowl, I would need an extension. I remembered converting my aluminum wing spar to the carbon fiber one, I am going to use that as the extension! I had some good experience with JB Weld for my other plane's smoke muffler, so this time I will use it to secure the tip to the Saito titanium ring muffler.

On the other hand I will also make an Oil Catch Tank. If you are a 4-stroke engine user, you already know there is a breather hole on our engines. This hole is discharging oil (normally black) from the engine and is usually let out of the aircraft via a tube. Now the problem is these black oil is being flung around the fuselage during flights. Some cleaning of the plane is required before you pack up for the day. I came up with this Oil Catch Tank to channel the oil into this canister that contains tissue papers/sponge to absorb it.

Meanwhile I am also reluctant to let those loose cables stay loose in the cowl where they are pretty near to the ring muffler. At extreme temperature who know what would happen if the cables come in contact with the scorching hot muffler~?! So I thought a piece of fiberglass cloth with a copper tape should isolate it from the heat by wrapping around those critical cables.
Attachments
IMG_1492.jpg
Try fitting the extension cut from the original aluminum spar!
IMG_1635.jpg
JB welded! It should hold up well with the heat I hope!
IMG_1622.jpg
An empty metal candy box is used to make an Oil Catch Tank (OCT). Being small and lightweight it can be fitted anywhere in the aircraft.
IMG_1633.jpg
OCT painted green.
IMG_1638.jpg
OCT mounted right below the engine which can be easily accessed by opening the lid on the right to change/wash the filter.
IMG_1637.jpg
Tissue paper or sponge to be used as a filter inside the OCT.
IMG_1586.jpg
Cutting out a couple of fiberglass cloth for insulation.
IMG_1598.jpg
Sticking of fiberglass cloth on the copper tape.
IMG_1614.jpg
Copper insulation tape is wrapped on those critical areas whereby it is near the hot ring muffler.

FreeWing
Iron

13 Sep 2017, 15:27

Awesome work, kekelala! Wish I have a space like you. Truly inspiring and creative build there! SUBSCRIBED!!!!!

Cheers, FW

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

14 Sep 2017, 10:30

Hey FW,

Thank you! Your support has encouraged me to post more!

Kind regards
Kekelala

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

14 Sep 2017, 11:17

Just done with the main retracts and cowl installation.

Saito engines hate the heat. They like to be cooled. The rule of cooling the internal cowl is to reduce the air pressure and heat within. The rule of reducing the air pressure within the cowl is the rule of 1:3, whereby 1 is the opened size of the intake port against the vent which is 3x of that. But little did many know about the theory of "air curtain". The wind blowing from the propeller is moving very quickly towards the back of the aircraft. During this process the wind act as a curtain over the vent, blocking out any possible ventilation of hot air from the cowl, and hence over heating the engine.

To solve this, a wind deflector is introduced. The wind would hit the deflector and get channeled away. When it got channeled away it leaves a negative pressure outside the vent. The negative pressure inversely draws out the hot air inside.
Attachments
IMG_1628.jpg
Preparing for paint works on the retract area.
IMG_1629.jpg
Painted.
IMG_1630.jpg
The wheel/leg well installed.
IMG_1634.jpg
One of the electric retracts installed.
IMG_1632.jpg
The wind deflector, angled at 30º, channels the propeller wash downwards, creating a negative pressure at the opening of the vent behind it. The negative pressure than sucks out the hot air that is inside of the cowl.
IMG_1631.jpg
The vent at the bottom of the cowl can be seen here.

IndigoBlue
Iron

15 Sep 2017, 09:23

Nice going, dude! Beautiful model. Where are you going to fly this machine?

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

15 Sep 2017, 10:02

IndigoBlue wrote:
Nice going, dude! Beautiful model. Where are you going to fly this machine?

Hey, IndigoBlue

Thank you! I fly at RMS Flying Club. Pop by if you want. It is free to visit. But will fly this Cat only when completed.

Regards,
Kekelala

kekelala
Zinc
Topic Author

15 Sep 2017, 10:05

Hi Admin,

I just realized you have just created a section for my topic. Thank you very much for that!

Regards,
Kekelala